THE CRANE POOL FORUM thecranepool.net (.com)


Forum Home

Master Index of Archived Threads


Irony City

Edgy DC
Sep 18 2005 03:19 PM

Tom Seaver never had knee problems despite dragging that knee on pitches his whole career. He never had shoulder problems despite throwing about a million fastballs.

According to the Brave broadcasters, Nancy Seaver is currently recovering from knee surgery, and will follow that with rotator cuff surgery.

Elster88
Sep 18 2005 03:22 PM

I would've gone with Ironyville.

OE: This is my 4,000th post.
____________________________
This post had the designation 151) Glendon Rusch

Zvon
Sep 18 2005 04:08 PM
Re: Irony City

Edgy DC wrote:
Tom Seaver never had knee problems despite dragging that knee on pitches his whole career. He never had shoulder problems despite throwing about a million fastballs.

According to the Brave broadcasters, Nancy Seaver is currently recovering from knee surgery, and will follow that with rotator cuff surgery.


Seaver will be the first to tell you that his legs were what gave him his long lived arm.
Nancy should work those legs more.

Frayed Knot
Sep 18 2005 10:26 PM
Edited 1 time(s), most recently on Sep 18 2005 11:55 PM

I think someone should have an Irony City beer in honor of this thread.

metirish
Sep 18 2005 10:31 PM

That's a weird bit of info form TBS/Turner South, I'm trying to think of a pitcher in the game today that has the motion of Seaver, does any starting pitcher throw like he did?

Edgy DC
Sep 18 2005 10:35 PM

Certainly Clemens would credit his leg drive, and keeping his legs strong.

Spacemans Bong
Sep 18 2005 10:49 PM

metirish wrote:
That's a weird bit of info form TBS/Turner South, I'm trying to think of a pitcher in the game today that has the motion of Seaver, does any starting pitcher throw like he did?

Everybody.

The Seaver drop and drive motion has been THE taught pitching motion of the last 30 years.

metirish
Sep 18 2005 10:54 PM

Oh I don't know about that spaceman, am I wrong in thinking that pitchers today don't drop and drive with the legs like Seaver did, I mean they don't scrape the knees like he did.

metirish
Sep 18 2005 10:59 PM

Classic Seaver here in this pic....

mlbaseballtalk
Sep 18 2005 11:30 PM
Re: Irony City

Edgy DC wrote:
Tom Seaver never had knee problems despite dragging that knee on pitches his whole career. He never had shoulder problems despite throwing about a million fastballs.

According to the Brave broadcasters, Nancy Seaver is currently recovering from knee surgery, and will follow that with rotator cuff surgery.


??? I could have sworn the knee was giving him some trouble 86-87 which led to his being DLed in the postseason and eventual retirement

Granted thats an "end of the line" rather than a chronic "throughout career" thing but that is a thing

Steve

Edgy DC
Sep 18 2005 11:33 PM

Well, the Turner people as well as I are reporting it in the light most suitable for effect, and I'm sure both joints bothered him during his career.

It was an ankle injury that kept him out of the 1986 series. I don't know if that was still his problem or not in 1987.

G-Fafif
Sep 18 2005 11:55 PM

Edgy DC wrote:
Well, the Turner people as well as I are reporting it in the light most suitable for effect, and I'm sure both joints bothered him during his career.

It was an ankle injury that kept him out of the 1986 series. I don't know if that was still his problem or not in 1987.


I heard Tom say in an interview, within the last year or so, that it was his back, combined with collusion, that kept him from getting offered a contract in the winter of '86-'87. I don't remember his back being an issue as a Red Sock but he was 42 and his health wasn't top of mind following October 27, 1986. I like that almost two decades after 311 wins, 20 seasons and, as pointed out, creating a model in motion for countless power pitchers everywhere, that he still carried a twinge of regret about not being able to continue pitching

ScarletKnight41
Sep 19 2005 07:24 AM

41, actually. Tom turned 42 a few weeks after the 1986 season ended.

It always stuck with me that he played his last pro game at the age of 41.

G-Fafif
Sep 19 2005 03:39 PM

ScarletKnight41 wrote:
41, actually. Tom turned 42 a few weeks after the 1986 season ended.

It always stuck with me that he played his last pro game at the age of 41.


Thinkin' 'bout his free agent period, most of which came after 11/17/44.

old original jb
Sep 19 2005 11:57 PM
Isn't it Ironic. Not.

This thread is like the Alanis Morissette song in which she depicts a number of circumstances which, while illustrating that life can give us exactly what we don't need at any given moment, contain little or no irony.

Ironic in this case would be if Nancy, based on Tom's experiences, waged a successfull public campaign to cut unnecessary medical spending by closing every orthopaedic surgery practice in the country, not realizing that she might need their services some day.

Edgy DC
Sep 20 2005 12:04 AM

I disagree. I used the term irony, and it is in fact ironic.

I am nothing like Alanis Morissette and your point is wrong. I will debate you, JB, before a panel of etymologists, pedants, and semanticists --- and I will win.

ScarletKnight41
Sep 20 2005 07:17 AM

G-Fafif wrote:


Thinkin' 'bout his free agent period, most of which came after 11/17/44.


I know you meant to say after 11/17/86. But you can't hang a fat one over the plate like that and not expect me to take a swing ;)